After our trip to Cambais falls, we moved to Montpellier falls.
And unlike the other waterfalls in Cebu, Montpellier offers mountain views along its trail. There was no guide whatsoever so we had to ask around but the trail is pretty easy to follow.
We even had this falls all to ourselves. We didn’t see any other tourist and we felt like we discovered something hidden. Something that only the locals know.
- 1 How To Get There
- 2 Montpellier Falls
- 3 Where to Stay in Cebu
- 4 Responsible Travel Tips
- 5 What to Pack for Cebu
- 6 Our Camera Gear
- 7 You might also like….
- 8 Philippines Travel Guides
How To Get There
Want to check it out?
Travel Tip: Check schedules and availability of your buses, ferries, taxis, or flights to book online with 12Go Asia.
Montpellier falls is located in Alegria, Cebu. The best way to reach the trailhead is to rent a car or a motorcycle.
It’s just around 20 minutes from Cambais falls and around an hour away from Moalboal.
To get there, you’ll have to go up the mountain. The views are quite scenic. You get a stunning mountain view as well as glimpses of the sea every now and then.
Once you see a hut on the side of the road near a cliff, that’s your trailhead to get to Montpellier falls.
The first few minutes of the trail to Montpellier is descending. It can be a challenge at first to find which way you should go but there are several houses along the way. You can simply ask one of the locals if you think you’re lost.
After the last house, there’s only one path. Just follow that and soon enough you’ll reach Montpellier falls. The trek takes about 15 minutes and stops on a small cemented bridge where you’ll get a good view of the waterfall.
To make things easier, here’s a map to Montpellier falls.
Montpellier falls is right in the middle of a lush forest. The waterfall is a beautiful contrast to all the greeneries around.
When Ryk and I arrived at the falls, nobody else was there. We literally had it to ourselves! It’s quite a sight to see.
The waters are cool and refreshing making it one of the perfect waterfalls in Cebu to visit on a hot summer day. Plus, there are no fees to pay whatsoever.
If only I was more confident with my swimming skills, I would’ve swam up the big boulder where the water is plummeting down to.
Where to Stay in Cebu
When planning your trip to Cebu, it’s best that you book months before your travel date. This is to ensure that you have a place to sleep the night in. Here are some that I’d recommend for you to book.
- RedDoorz Plus near Mango Avenue Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Pillows Hotel Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Check Price and Availability
- Escario Central Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Grazie’s Studio Apartment – Check Price and Availability
- Murals Mactan – Check Price and Availability
- Liquid Soul Dive Hostel – Check Price and Availability
- Taro Hometel – Check Price and Availability
- Little Norway Guesthouse – Check Price and Availability
- Acrige Apartelle – Check Price and Availability
- Zhamira Avior’s Condominium – Check Price and Availability
- Beyond Island – Check Price and Availability
- Cebu R Hotel – Mabolo – Check Price and Availability
- One Central Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Mandarin Plaza Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Harolds Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Alpa City Suites Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Allure Hotel & Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Zerenity Hotel and Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Summit Galleria Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- St. Mark Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Cebu Hotel Plus – Check Price and Availability
- Carl‘s Island Inn – Check Price and Availability
- Kota Beach Resort – Check Price and Availability
- Kandugyap House By The Sea – Check Price and Availability
- Carolina del Mar – Check Price and Availability
- AJ Family Vacation Home – Check Price and Availability
- Soderberg – Check Price and Availability
- Ocean Safari Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Bai Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Seda Ayala Center Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Marco Polo Plaza Cebu Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Red Planet Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Golden Prince Hotel & Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Bayfront Hotel Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Quest Hotel and Conference Center Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Diamond Suites & Residences – Check Price and Availability
- Tongo Hill Cottages – Check Price and Availability
- Ravenala Beach Bungalows – Check Price and Availability
- Oceanfront Paradise Resort – Check Price and Availability
- Pearl of Santa Fe – Check Price and Availability
Aside from hotels and resorts, you can also opt to stay at an Airbnb.
Responsible Travel Tips
When traveling to one place, make sure you practice responsible tourism. Here are some tips to do so.
1. Respect the environment
Don’t litter. Please hold onto your trash until you find a garbage can.
2. Avoid single-use plastic
Bring your eco bag and refuse single-use plastic.
3. Shop local
Keep the traditional crafts alive and support local artisans. Buy from them. And try not to haggle, P20 may seem small to you but it can mean a lot to them.
4. Always ask permission
Be sure to ask for permission first when taking photos or videos especially when it comes to children
What to Pack for Cebu
- Eco-friendly Reusable Water Bottle
- Light Rain Jacket (especially from June to November)
- T-shirts, a nice top, and a long-sleeved shirt
- Aqua Shoes
- Day Bag
- Power Adapter
- Universal Waterproof Phone Case
- Packing Cubes
- Microfiber Towel
- Travel Insurance
- Money Belt
- sneakers, hiking shoes (if you’re planning to hike) and some flats
- reusable straw and reusable bag (no to single-use plastic!)
Related Article: The Only Travel Packing List You’ll Ever Need (Trust Me)
Our Camera Gear
- Mirrorless Camera: Fujifilm XT3
- Lenses: Fujifilm Fujinon kit lens (18-55mm) | Fujinon 35mm f2 | Fujinon 50mm f2
- Drone: DJI Mavic Pro 2
- GoPro: GoPro Hero Black 7
- Power Bank: Romoss Powerbank
- Camera Backpack: Case Logic Camera and Laptop Backpack
- Monopod: Ifootage Cobra 2 a180
- Mic: Rode VideoMicro
- Gimbal: Zhiyun Weebill-S
You might also like….
- Binalayan Falls 2021 Travel Guide: Samboan, Cebu
- 7 Can’t-miss Cebu Waterfalls to Visit
- Inambakan Falls 2021 Travel Guide: Ginatilan, Cebu
- Moalboal Island Hopping Travel Guide: A Snorkeling Paradise
- Osmena Peak Sunrise Hike: 2021 Travel Guide
- Mactan Island Hopping: 2021 Travel Guide
- Bantayan Island 2021 Travel Guide: All You Need To Know
Philippines Travel Guides
Backpacking around the Philippines? Don’t miss these travel guides!
BATAD RICE TERRACES: Batad Rice Terraces and Tappiya Falls: First Timer’s Budget Travel Guide