If you ask me where’s my favorite waterfall in Cebu, I’d tell you “Dao Falls”. With its blue-tinted waters and enchanting trails, a trip to this stunning waterfall is definitely worth it!
Here’s everything you need to know on how to visit the highest waterfall in Samboan, Dao falls without any tours.
How to Get to Dao Falls
Dao falls is located in Samboan, Cebu and 1.5 hours drive away from Moalboal.
From Cebu City, Dao falls is four hours away. You can opt to rent a car or ride a bus heading to Bao or Lilon plying the Barili or Samboan route. Get off at Dao Eskina and ride a tricycle to the trailhead of the waterfalls.
Travel Tip: Check schedules and availability of your buses, ferries, taxis or flights to book online with 12Go Asia.
Here’s a map to Dao falls to help you plan your trip.
Here are the fees to be collected at the trailhead.
- Environmental Fee: P20 (0.4 USD) per head
- Parking Fee: P40 (0.8 USD)
- Guide Fee: No fixed rate, it’s up to you how much you’ll pay
Dao Falls Trekking and Main Falls
Time To Reach the Main Falls: 25 to 30 mins
From the trailhead, you’ll pass by several coconut trees until you reach 100+ steps going down to river. From here, proceed to either walk on the bamboo bridge or use another trail. I was a bit skeptical about walking on the bamboo bridge but our guide assured us that it was strong enough.
After the bridge, you’ll walk along the river which becomes narrower as you get near the main falls. Depending on the season, the waters in the river can reach up to your waist so be sure to bring a dry bag to store important stuff and have a waterproof camera ready.
The trail is what sets Dao falls apart from all the other waterfalls in Cebu. You’ll be immersed in a jungle hike past canyon walls, bamboo railings and limestone paths to the beautiful main waterfall.
The Dao waterfall cascades down a limestone wall to a large Gatorade blue basin.
Here are a few things to note when visiting Dao waterfall.
- The trail is quite slippery. Use non-slip footwear.
- Read our list of the best waterfalls to visit in Cebu.
- The best months to visit are from November to April during the dry season for the best turquoise blue color.
- Got a drone? Send it up and get a great view of the waterfall.
Where to Stay in Cebu
When planning your trip to Cebu, it’s best that you book months before your travel date. This is to ensure that you have a place to sleep the night in. Here are some that I’d recommend for you to book.
- RedDoorz Plus near Mango Avenue Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Pillows Hotel Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Check Price and Availability
- Escario Central Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Grazie’s Studio Apartment – Check Price and Availability
- Murals Mactan – Check Price and Availability
- Liquid Soul Dive Hostel – Check Price and Availability
- Taro Hometel – Check Price and Availability
- Little Norway Guesthouse – Check Price and Availability
- Acrige Apartelle – Check Price and Availability
- Zhamira Avior’s Condominium – Check Price and Availability
- Beyond Island – Check Price and Availability
- Cebu R Hotel – Mabolo – Check Price and Availability
- One Central Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Mandarin Plaza Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Harolds Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Alpa City Suites Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Allure Hotel & Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Zerenity Hotel and Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Summit Galleria Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- St. Mark Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Cebu Hotel Plus – Check Price and Availability
- Carl‘s Island Inn – Check Price and Availability
- Kota Beach Resort – Check Price and Availability
- Kandugyap House By The Sea – Check Price and Availability
- Carolina del Mar – Check Price and Availability
- AJ Family Vacation Home – Check Price and Availability
- Soderberg – Check Price and Availability
- Ocean Safari Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Bai Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Seda Ayala Center Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Marco Polo Plaza Cebu Hotel – Check Price and Availability
- Red Planet Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Golden Prince Hotel & Suites – Check Price and Availability
- Bayfront Hotel Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Quest Hotel and Conference Center Cebu – Check Price and Availability
- Diamond Suites & Residences – Check Price and Availability
- Tongo Hill Cottages – Check Price and Availability
- Ravenala Beach Bungalows – Check Price and Availability
- Oceanfront Paradise Resort – Check Price and Availability
- Pearl of Santa Fe – Check Price and Availability
Aside from hotels and resorts, you can also opt to stay at an Airbnb.
Responsible Travel Tips
When traveling to one place, make sure you practice responsible tourism. Here are some tips to do so.
1. Respect the environment
Don’t litter. Please hold onto your trash until you find a garbage can.
2. Avoid single-use plastic
Bring your eco bag and refuse single-use plastic.
3. Shop local
Keep the traditional crafts alive and support local artisans. Buy from them. And try not to haggle, P20 may seem small to you but it can mean a lot to them.
4. Always ask permission
Be sure to ask for permission first when taking photos or videos especially when it comes to children
What to Pack for Cebu
- Eco-friendly Reusable Water Bottle
- Light Rain Jacket (especially from June to November)
- T-shirts, a nice top, and a long-sleeved shirt
- Aqua Shoes
- Day Bag
- Power Adapter
- Universal Waterproof Phone Case
- Packing Cubes
- Microfiber Towel
- Travel Insurance
- Money Belt
- sneakers, hiking shoes (if you’re planning to hike) and some flats
- reusable straw and reusable bag (no to single-use plastic!)
Related Article: The Only Travel Packing List You’ll Ever Need (Trust Me)
Our Camera Gear
- Mirrorless Camera: Fujifilm XT3
- Lenses: Fujifilm Fujinon kit lens (18-55mm) | Fujinon 35mm f2 | Fujinon 50mm f2
- Drone: DJI Mavic Pro 2
- GoPro: GoPro Hero Black 7
- Power Bank: Romoss Powerbank
- Camera Backpack: Case Logic Camera and Laptop Backpack
- Monopod: Ifootage Cobra 2 a180
- Mic: Rode VideoMicro
- Gimbal: Zhiyun Weebill-S
You might also like….
- Binalayan Falls 2020 Travel Guide: Samboan, Cebu
- 7 Can’t-miss Cebu Waterfalls to Visit
- Inambakan Falls 2020 Travel Guide: Ginatilan, Cebu
- Moalboal Island Hopping Travel Guide: A Snorkeling Paradise
- Osmena Peak Sunrise Hike: 2019 Travel Guide
- Mactan Island Hopping: 2019 Travel Guide
- Bantayan Island 2019 Travel Guide: All You Need To Know
Philippines Travel Guides
Backpacking around the Philippines? Don’t miss these travel guides!
BATAD RICE TERRACES: Batad Rice Terraces and Tappiya Falls: First Timer’s Budget Travel Guide