Planning to subscribe to Bokksu? Is it really worth it? What should you expect? Here’s our Bokksu review!
There’s a new way to experience Japan without physically traveling to the country – a Japanese snack box!
Bokksu is one of the companies offering Japanese snack box subscriptions to 36 countries and currently expanding.
Every box is carefully curated to give you a taste of Japan’s culture through each snack.
So without further ado, let’s get on with our Bokksu review and what you can expect from your Japanese snack box!
Disclaimer: We’ve partnered with Bokksu for this review. All opinions are our own. Also, some of the links on this page are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase we will earn a commission at no additional cost to you. This helps us run this website and provide you more quality content so feel free to click away!
First Box Bokksu Review: Seasons of Japan
With Bokksu’s first subscription box, you’ll receive the Seasons of Japan box which aims to give you the best tasting local snacks for all four seasons!
If you are a new customer ordering from Bokksu for the very first time, your first box will be our “Seasons of Japan” box, handpicked to give you the best taste of premium Japanese snacks across all four seasons. After your first box, your journey through Japan continues with our fun cultural themes curated around regions, flavors, and more to immerse you in a new adventure every month!
So what’s in your box?
For this review, we got the Classic box (read further down below for the different subscription boxes you can avail).
The box contains:
- 21 snacks & tea
- Bokksu culture guide
- a card containing a message from the founder
There was also a card stating that Bokksu had to alter our curation slightly from what’s in the guide because of production issues. But they did provide yummy alternatives so all is well. 🙂
As I’ve mentioned, we received 21 snacks including tea!
Here’s a list of the snacks:
- Stick Potato: Suppa Mucho Plum
- White Strawberry *
- Mocchan Dango Mochi *
- Tottori 20th Century Pear Fromage Biscuit *
- Handmade Yuzu Sake Candy
- Seaweed Tempura: Setouchi Sudachi Citrus Flavor
- Dondon Yaki
- Mini Shiruko Sando Red Bean Crackers *
- Black Sesame Taiko: Kumamon Design
- Matcha Chocolate Stick Cake *
- Aomori Apple Caramel Yakkoi Sable *
- Gudetama Golden Pack: Tamago Kake Gohan Flavor
- Funwari Meijin Mochi Puffs: Kinako
- Organic Genmaicha Tea *
- & 2 snacks (I’ll leave a photo of them below since I can’t read Japanese yet) – alternatives to Jaga Pokkuru & Mala Agesen Fried Rice Cracker because of production issues
Bokksu culture guide
In my opinion, this is what makes Bokksu awesome! Inside your Japanese subscription box, you’ll get your very own culture guide.
- handy Japanese words and phrases to learn
- meet the snack makers (you can also check their list of makers here) – Knowing who made each snack makes eating more enjoyable!
- a summary of each season and which treats are best for each
- a list of snacks you’ll find in your Bokksu including who the manufacturer is, common allergens contained in the snack, a product of which prefecture, taste, and whether or not the snack is for vegetarians
- a map showing where each snack came from
- hidden gems of Japan – a list of off-the-beaten paths
- and a little something about tea
Oh, and you’ll also find a discount code inside the box for your next purchase!
What we love about Bokksu
If you love Japan, you’ll definitely fall in love with Bokksu!
Bokksu is not like any other Japanese snack box. Each box you receive is carefully curated and sourced directly from 100+ year old family-run snack makers!
Just typing that gave me the shivers. A good one. Imagine getting a taste of candies, snacks, and tea from these century-old family-run businesses! Amazing!
When we first received our snack box, Ryk and I were like little kids giggling and excited to find out what’s inside. It’s like Christmas in June! Haha.
We loved reading about where each snack is from and what ingredients were in it. It makes the whole experience so much more “magical”.
Not to mention, their box is really high-quality. Thought I should put it here. I love boxes and my brain right now is filled with tons of ideas on what I can do with the box.
Their customer service is also top-notch! They reply really fast via email. We even received an email from the founder himself thanking us for the purchase. Replied to his email and got a reply on the same day!
All in all, Bokksu isn’t just your usual Japanese snack box. It’s more than that. It’s an experience.
How much does a Bokksu cost?
You can choose from two types of Bokksu Subscription:
- Classic ($39.99/box) – 20 to 25 Japanese snacks, candies, and a tea pairing curated around a fun cultural theme
- Tasting ($26.99/box) – 10 to 14 Japanese snacks, candies, and a tea pairing curated around a fun cultural theme
However, you can save as much as $36 when you choose the 3 months or 12 months Bokksu subscription.
Aside from their box subscriptions, you can also buy snacks directly from their site. They sell:
- savory Japanese snacks
- Japanese KitKats
- Japanese teas
- vegetarian Japanese snacks
- gift cards
- gift boxes
- kitchenwares (including a Bokksu bento box!)
- and a whole lot more!
Discounts & Special Offers
- Shop Bokksu & Get $3 Off First Subscription with code AYOB3!
- Shop Bokksu Snack Market & Get 15% Off When Buying 12+ items!
- Shop Bokksu Snack Market & Get Free Saver Shipping for orders over $99!
- Shop Bokksu Snack Market & Get Free Express Shipping for orders over $199!
- Special Holiday Gift! Get 60-Piece Variety Box of Japanese Kit Kats in Bokksu Market!
If you have any more questions, check out their Frequently Asked Questions page.
You might also like…
- 7 Travel Essentials for Women Every Female Traveler Should Know
- 10 Best Travel Books to Inspire the Wanderer in You
- 16 Eco-Friendly Travel Products for the Earth-Loving You